Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Importance of Being Earnest

Before I post what will undoubtedly be a long entry detailing the technical aspects of our "Across The Ether" performance, I must say that:

Because I was so engaged in the technical side of the day, I really was not able to grasp a sense of the "whole"; in between cues and headphone communications with the camera people, punching buttons and wrapping cords, switching between screens and people via iChat, etc. etc., my attention was so divided that a sense of continuity in regard to the performances was not possible for me. Such is the pitfall of being on the Technical Team, most notably during a one-time-only performance. If this had been a production like others in my past, a production for which many performances were held, the technical side would eventually have reached a comfort level and I would have been able to allow myself to become immeshed in the performances being given. A "One-Shot" performance such as this does not allow for that rehearsed, repeated, comfort in repetition feeling, and attention must be given to the most immediate needs of the performers. I hope we were able to facilitate a good experience for the performers and participants.

So - I am really looking forward to seeing the documented film of the whole.

Through the fog/phase of performance time, I will note what stands out in my memory of the event:

1) Really liked the Californian's idea of keeping a character on-screen (iChat) during the show; the costumed, makeup character emitted a constant connection to "California" - through a character. Marvelous idea. It also served to establish that a real person was on the other end, a scenario which caused us some angst when trying to determine in real-time whether our transmissions were still happening "real time".
.....it is important to verify at anytime that a connection is happening between people; someone from each location needs to stay in front of a camera (in this case if iChat is being utilized).

2) REALLY liked the percussion pieces that were done. I am most interested to see what/if anything took place with latency.

3) REALLY REALLY exhausted when all was over.

4) Would like to know what the reaction of audience members was.....?

No comments:

Post a Comment